Saturday, December 31, 2011

My 2011 Reading Challenge Update

Photo from Flickr.com

At the beginning of this year I challenged myself to read 50 books. I didn't hit 50 books this year and thought I did way better than last year but then I made this list and realized I didn't do well at all!! Especially when you consider that I read less than last what I had last year and had a LOT more time to read them in. Oh dear!! I really thought I did better but I guess I let time get away from me more than I realized. I still have a LONG list of books I'd like to read and a pile in my room that I have to get through, so if nothing else I at least have a place to start for next year's goal. I still have to get over my fear of the library but I will be continuing to work on reaching a goal of 50 books in one year, apparently I need to focus a little harder though. So instead of being excited for what I accomplished, like I thought I was going to be, I'm going to reset my goal for 2012. Maybe having a baby and more down time will help me focus a little better.

Here are the books I read this year:
  1. The Appeal
  2. The Lucky One
  3. The Associate
  4. Dear John
  5. The Candy Shop War
  6. The Madonnas of Leningrad
  7. The Midnight Hour
  8. Heat Wave
  9. My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life
  10. The Makeover of James Orville
  11. Last Shot
  12. Black Ice
  13. Leven Thumps and The Gateway to Foo
  14. Leven Thumps and Whispered Secret
  15. Leven Thumps and The Eyes of the Want
  16. Leven Thumps and The Wrath of Ezra
  17. Leven Thumps and The Ruins of Alder
  18. A Time to Dance
  19. Never too Late
  20. Jungle Dogs
  21. Night and Day
  22. We Were the Mulvaneys
  23. Inkheart
Next year I WILL do better. I really thought I had this time around and am so shocked that I just read these few. I know I can do this though. I just have to remember to keep going when I'm done with a book. Sometimes I like to stop and take a break but those breaks turn into a few weeks without reading and although it's not a HUGE deal if I don't read I really should be making sure that if I'm not reading that I'm also not wasting my time doing something less productive, which I usually am. Time to unplug a little more and make more of my time count. I hope anyone else who challenged themselves to this did a lot better than I did.

Again, wish me luck!!!

7 comments:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

If you want, I own My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life and I love it so you can borrow it when you get to it.
Last year I read almost 50, but this year (I think because of 2 kids) and so much to do keeping James busy, etc. that I only read maybe 20....
Good luck for next year! You need to read 4 books a month at least to meet your goal.

monica said...

Good list. I enjoyed <y Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life, hope you do, too. Who is the author of the Black Ice you are planning on?


I set a goal of 100 last year and hit 140. Woot! This year I upped it to 144, I joined a 12x12 challenge on Shelfari. 12 books from 12 categories, we'll see how well I do.

Good Luck!

Shai Robison said...

I also do not enjoy the rexburg library, I always requested my books online and they would send me a text or leave me a voicemail when they were ready. I just had to walk in, grab the book with my name on it off of the request shelf and check out, 1 minute in and out! it was so nice! quick enough I could leave squeak in the car!

Chad and Amber said...

Which of your books were your favorite? I'm trying to get into reading again and am always looking for a good book. I'm also not on facebook anymore, so if you don't want to put you "Book reviews" on here, e-mail me at handsomeamber@gmail.com

Kathy said...

I don't understand how you moms can read that many books with little kids. I was never able to sit and read, or I guess I never chose to. If I had read 20 books in one year I would have never gotten anything done that I should have.

Steve and Allison said...

i love to read too! you'll have to tell me about some of your books. i'm reading the vampire diaries and it's pretty good but WAY different from the TV show!

Sarah and Chris said...

Good job Cheris! I find it is hard to read books sometimes but not having a car and neighbors, reading gives my mind an outlet that is somewhat like being social... not really... I just need a break from my reality so I read all the time. I think you need to conquer your fear of the library quickly. We love it there. Dallin has even learned that HE can get books and so he will go around and find some to take home these days. And if I don't have a car, I just put things on hold and have Chris pick them up for me on the way home from work so I can always have something to read. I have noticed my reading genre has gotten younger since I can sometimes only read a few pages before I have to stop a fight or something... I recommend small, light reading books, if for no other reason they aren't as daunting to pick up and start! Also, when you read a good book make sure you share it with the rest of us! I know I am always looking for new things to read!