Thursday, April 5, 2012

Colby tried Mac'N Cheese...

...all by himself!!!

We've been working hard on getting Colby transitioned over to table food. We have had some really good days where he is happy to try what we're giving him and some really frustrating days where he chooses not to touch anything except for his normal baby/soft foods. One of Riann's favorite lunches is Mac'N Cheese so I thought that I would make some up for Colby and give it a try. Normally when I make a box he'll sit with me and we'll share as much as he's willing to eat but this time I wanted to give him his own bowl and see how he did.

Overall he did a great job. He let me feed him for about 5 minutes and then he just wouldn't have it anymore. He does great with a fork, if you set up his food for him and then hand over it for him to hold so he can take his bite. After he's done, he'll usually hand it right back when he's ready for another one. However this day he really didn't want help and after we "fought" a little bit over who got to hold, and use the fork, I finally gave up and decided to just give him the bowl and see how he did. He loved feeding himself and took it on with as much vigor as he could manage. After a while he stopped chewing and started "packing" the food in his cheeks so I had to take everything away, for fear of his choking.

He did a great job though and ate a little over half of what I gave him, which is more than I think I've ever seen him eat on his own. It was a big step forward in our efforts to get him transitioned and I'm excited to see how much better he does as we keep trying new things. He sure is fun to sit with as he learns and I love how he doesn't hide his excitement when he's having a good time.