So here's the dilemma. I started using this because I wanted to update my family on what was going on with us in a manner that didn't require a password or an account to view, like Facebook or Myspace. It was perfect!!! Now I have this fear that I'm putting my child in danger because I'm posting pictures of her online for anyone to view. I can keep doing what I'm doing and just make sure that I'm not putting anything up that might be questionable or I can go private and not have to worry so much. If I go private though I don't think my family will view my blog because some of those I'm updating aren't all that computer savvy and they're the main reason I'm doing this.
What kind of advice does everyone have? Have you who have gone private liked the security of doing so? Is there a way to invite my family members so they don't need a blog to sign in? Did anyone run into this problem?
I'm going to try to make a decision by next week so if you can please help me with some advice or experience that would be awesome!!!
Hope to hear from you soon!!!
Thanks!!!
13 comments:
I went private because my brother's friends had a blog and found a link with their children's pictures posted that weren't very appropriate (perverts...I don't know the jist of the pictures but my brother asked we go private) With my family who isn't computer savvy I sent them an invite and then told them to put it as a favorite and they just needed their e-mail and password to check it out. I don't think it has been that hard for them and it makes me feel better about putting pictures up. Good luck with deciding :(
ok that is REALLY SCARY!! I never even thought about that!!! eeeks!!! now it makes me want to do the same!!!! What is this whole world coming to? If or when you do,.. let me know cuz i'll prolly do the same and would like to know how!!!
If you decide not to go private, there is an option in your settings to keep web browsers from finding your blog. I chose that, so at least people are only finding it if I want them to, or if others have linked to me. It is something I've thought about too, but so far I've kept it public.
I don't think it should be that hard because everyone who uses a computer knows how to put in a user name and password and that is all it takes.
I'm private mainly because my dad suggested it with having kids and all. I like the security. My mother-in-law does not have a blog, but she can still look at mine...so it's not hard.
I would go private- you can never be too careful!
My sister went private when she first started and my mom only has to put in her e-mail and a password... it's not hard at all. Where my grandparents are concerned.... because they're not computer savvy either.... we just print a few pictures every couple weeks and send them a card with the pictures. That way they get the pictures (and it's only like 60 cents for them at walmart) and then they can keep up with what's going on with our kids. It's working really well for our family.
The reason I'm going private is because some of my other friends have been getting weird messages left on their blogs about how cute their kids are and that they would be checking back often for updates.... and the comments are from people they don't know. YIKES!!!!!
If you're that worried about it I say do it...and invite those people you know to read your blog. I enjoy your blog so hopefully you'll let me still read...but the internet is kind of scary at times...in the mean time you probably shouldn't watch Law and Order so much...being paranoid is never good. My mom and I watched Mystery Diagnosis and now we keep thinking we all have some mystery disease. haha
I saw that episode and it freaked me out also! I understand your concern. I've added this gadget to my page where I can see everyone that comes to my page and how they got there. It makes me feel better because then I know who comes to my page. If you want to check it out go to the very bottom of my page and you can get one too.
Do what ever will make you feel the best. I've added the gadget to see if I feel like too many strangers are coming on the page. Right now I feel okay about not being private. Just watch the information you put on your page, don't give out too much info. Like specific places you go. Good luck, and say a prayer.
What I would do,Go private and just invite your friends and family to see your blog. There is a way you can do that. Then only the people you want to see your blog can.
Hey Cheris,
You've been tagged!! check out my email to look at the tag.. when you tag someone at the end be sure to leave them a comment on their blog so they know they've been tagged too!!
happy tagging!!! :)
hey cheris..
I'm sure you've probably already went private.. or if not, then maybe this can help you!! I have also been thinking about going private, and so i posted it on my page, and actually i had a friend comment on that post. and she said " you can turn the google able preference off in your basic security settings if you want." so that's what i've done so far and i think i'm going to see how that goes for a little while.. then i prolly still will go private anyways!! but i just hope that this might help you as well!!
Tag, now it's your turn!!
Post a Comment