Saturday, August 2, 2008

We're officially dorks... :-/

- Photo from www.amazon.com.

So yesterday a girl that Paul used to work with called him up and asked if we were going to go pick up the 4th Twilight book. Paul said we didn't know because we had just planned on borrowing one from one of our many friends, who are also obsessed with the series, was done reading there's. It had been a topic of conversation with a few people at work and when it first started to come up the only location in the area that was handing out the book at midnight was Barnes & Noble in Idaho Falls. We really didn't want to drive 30 minute at 11pm for a book that cost $25 when we could just borrow later for free. Well the more people talked about it we learned that the book was going to be released here at our local Walmart... AND it was only $13 something. We still weren't really into the whole idea of waiting in line and "camping out" for the book. I had told Paul earlier in the week that I wanted to wait until the whole series was complete and we knew nothing else would be coming out to buy it because I wanted all the books to match, so with that in mind we decided we'd wait.

Well... We had just gotten the baby all bathed and ready for bed and we were hanging out together in our room thinking about things to do together and it kept nagging at me... "Walmart isn't THAT far... and the book IS going to be cheaper..." Finally I brought it up to Paul to see what he thought. At first he was just a leery as I was going and sitting in line and risking the fact that the book might sell out before we got to buy it and it wasn't going to be easy waiting in line with a baby who really should have been in bed. But the more we started talking about it them more we realized that we just wanted to get through the series and just have it be done!!! So with out really thinking about it we packed the baby up and jetted out the door.

We got there about 11:45 and the line was getting pretty long. We went searching for Paul's friend and she was pretty close to the front. We didn't want to go all the way to the back so we stood there and talked for a bit and no one seemed to give us dirty looks so we just decided to stay. Employees from the story came out and 5'til and handed out cookie to everyone in line and finally at 12am the doors opened. People started rushing in and it seemed like it wasn't going to be that bad. They had 2 registers open at the customer service desk and they tried their hardest to keep people out of the rest of the store. I think when they realized how long the line was they told people that they could grab a book and go over to the main registers to get out faster. At this point it started to get chaotic. People started grabbing books and running for the check out stand. To keep everyone out of the store they had created a barrier of carts to direct traffic. Once people found out that they could "speed up" the process they started pushing carts out of the way trying to make a mad dash to be first inline on the other side.

We waited where we were and Paul got up front to grab and pay for a book. I hung back because I was afraid of getting shoved around with the baby. It took Paul maybe 5 minutes tops to get our book while everyone who thought they'd get through faster by going to a different line got stuck in heavier "traffic".

Needless to say there are a few "opening day" events I've been to and I'm glad I got a chance to experience this but I can't believe the lengths some fans will go to to be the first at something.

So far Paul once again started the book before I could so I need to let him get into it a bit before I start. I am looking forward to getting to it though. It was a fun night and I'm glad Paul's so willing to experience it with me. It was really fun being out with him and Riann and I really did have a good time.

I hope it's as good of a read as the other ones were!!!!

8 comments:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

That's surprising. They did better when Harry Potter came out. They had tons of lines open and we could just grab a book...they had a rule where it was one book per person though. I should have told you that Wal-mart was doing that. Did you know the public library even had a party until midnight and gave some books for free as a prize and then others could check-out the book at midnight.

The Parkers said...

ha ha I turned you into a twilight nerd (hee hee) Tha tis aweseom

Kathy said...

Amie and I went to the new Borders at the new Southcenter (it is awesome by the way)! It was fun. We got in line at 11:00pm and just hung out and talked with people. We had a nice time and it was no mad dashes or anything. But at the last minute she decided to buy herself one too so she and I were at different registers and she ended up being the first one done (I had to register my card first to get it at the $13.00 something price also. Apparently they just rang Amie up at that price also). It was fun and a good girls night out time! I have not had time to just read alot so I am only on page 319 right now.

Arica said...

I didn't go to the midnight party...my sisters did at Barnes and Noble. They both got a book and finished it by MONDAY...so now I have my turn..I still have 300+ pages left so I'm trying to get through it so I can discuss it and people will stop trying to ruin it for me!! I'm so happy that Amie turned Twilight nerd as well...I was trying to get her and Lin to read it all semester! :P I won't say I told you so....

Lacey said...

I got my book on Sunday night because I didn't feel like standing in line Saturday, I finished it on Tuesday Morning.... a 2 day book reading of 756 pages is pretty good for me!

I know you'll love it, I did!

Lindsey M said...

I would have been a dork with you. Adam wouldn't go with me. He told me to go by myself. I could picture it, me and a bunch of teenage girls with their moms. I waited until Saturday and finished it on Sunday. I'm sad it's over. Oh yeah, I love the video where she is blowing bubbles. That is adorable.

Marissa said...

Hey! Luke is into those books too! Actually we both just recently got in to the series. Before I was finished with book two, Luke was done with all four! I am gonna start book three today:)

TC Plaster said...

Hey this is Chelsie, Yes we do need to get together give me a call not this weekend but next weekend and we will do something. Our number is 208-705-8232 Talk to you soon