Saturday, June 16, 2012

Together Time

In the days leading up to the arrival of Roslyn I wanted the make sure the kids had some fun toys to play with around the house so we didn't have to "go out" as much but we could still feel like we got out and had a good time. After a walk around the neighborhood one afternoon we noticed that a neighbor up the street had a swing set in their backyard but they were selling their house and they weren't using it anymore. We decided to take a shot and ask them if they would be willing to part with it and they said if we could go pick it up and get it secure enough to use we could have it. The kids have LOVED having it around and they use it almost every day we make it outside. We are so grateful for our neighbors kindness and that they were willing to allow us to take from them. This swing set has been such a blessing for us.

The kids playing on their new swing set. They LOVE being outside and playing on it.
I was also able to find a sand/water table at a garage sale here in Rexburg and the kids LOVE this too. They haven't been able to play with this toy quite as much because Roslyn joined us the day after we picked it up and then we started getting typical Spring weather, windy and wet, so we didn't get too much time to get out and play with it. The last few days have been nice and the kids have enjoyed getting out and playing with it quite a bit. We've had it for about three weeks now and we already have to refill the sand. It's amazing how fast they can empty all of that. It'll be a struggle keeping it "full" for the rest of the summer. I'm so glad we have it though. It's nice and compact and the kids enjoy getting into it and getting "dirty". I can't wait to use this more and more of the summer.

This was on the evening we got it filled with sand. They were VERY excited to get out and start using it.

Another thing I wanted for this summer was a pool for the kids to cool down in.  We've had pools in the past and they have never worked out for us because they were just too big for our little guys. I finally decided to go smaller, after we had played in the pool over at our neighbors house a few times last summer, and so we got this cute little one at Walmart. So far Colby is the one that seems to love it the most but it's been great to have around. We've had a few really nice days this summer and I just enjoy sitting outside with the kids while they each get to play with their own thing and just enjoy the sunshine.

Cooling off in the warm sun. This was our last afternoon together before Roslyn joined us. It was a great afternoon and we were so grateful for the relaxing time together before we expanded to a family of five. These kids are amazing!!!
I would have never thought that "yard toys" would be a big blessing in my life but having these things for the kids to play with have been so wonderful. I was very scared about having a spring baby because after our long winters I knew the kids would have a hard time staying in doors with nice weather outside. I've been nervous about the idea of taking the kids to the park by myself now that we've for a new baby, especially because Colby is my little dare devil and he needs someone close by any time he wants to start climbing. I didn't know how I was going to do that with my hands already full with the baby. Being able to stay close to home while we transition to our new life has been wonderful for us and the kids haven't missed a beat or complained about a day at the park now that they have their own "park" in the backyard.

No comments: